February 16, 2012

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies

We really don't neeeed anymore goodies since there are Valentine candies & treats galore around here, but my daughter & I were bored and in the mood to bake cookies this morning. I had just bought some zucchini at the store not really knowing what I was going to do with it, so I thought I'd google "zucchini cookies" and see what happened. This recipe is one of the first that popped up and it looked good. I liked that it had oats in it and not too much sugar or butter. But...zucchini cookes....would they taste good? I was willing to try! HERE is the link to the recipe but I'll repost it here with a couple changes I made.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

4 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1.5 cup shredded zucchini

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Combine dry ingredients well.

In another bowl, combine butter and sugars, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Next, add the shredded zucchini. Mix until combined.

Combine the flour mixture with the zucchini mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and dried cranberries.

Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden.






Our cookies turned out great, they definitely have a cake-like texture to them that reminded me of muffins. So, kind of like individual cookie sized muffins. Nothing wrong with that! I'd have no problem eating a couple of these for breakfast. They are tasty & sweet but not overly sweet and they have oats & zucchini in them, so they're pretty healthy too!

No comments: