January 23, 2012

African Peanut Butter Soup

Here's my first soup of the week. Here's a clue as to whose recipe this is:

I like gooey peanut butter
You may not like gooey peanut butter
Still we like each other

Do you remember who sang that cute little song? I'm dating myself because it was sung on Sesame Street in the 70's. It's Grover! And I found his recipe in this cookbook:





It's a great kids' cookbook I found at Goodwill. This copy is in perfect condition and it has some wonderful kid-friendly yet mostly healthy recipes.

I thought this one would be fun to try, something different but simple and it used ingredients I already had on hand.





I ended up making just a half a batch and I added a diced carrot but didn't use a red pepper. Other than that, I think I followed the recipe pretty closely.

African Style Peanut Butter Soup

1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 t chili powder
1 T olive oil

Saute above in olive oil till chicken is done. Then add:

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
1/2 peanut butter

Bring to a simmer till all heated through then add:

1 cup prepared rice (brown or white)



I really loved the way it turned out, the rest of the family was just kinda 'eh' about it. It was very low in salt, I used low sodium broth and didn't add any salt so it was a bit bland, but actually that is one of the reasons I liked it so much.






I'm still deciding on my next soup. I'm kinda remembering that I'm the only one in the family who likes soup very much. I know they all like stuff like chili & chunky potato soup. But the more brothy, vegetable-y ones are not so popular. I need to work that into my game plan or else just invite my Mom over for dinner 2 x's a week for soup then make something else that everyone else likes too. I don't want to have to do that (well...the Mom part would be okay, but the extra cooking part NO) I really just need to work everyone's likes into my recipe choices or else I'll be enjoying lots of leftovers & lots of whining.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Now I can see why you were giggling! What a cute little cookbook.

You should make this soup: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tortellini-minestrone/detail.aspx?src=ShareOnFacebook&recipeID=116149

It's delicious!!

Dagni said...

I love Grover and I remember that cute little song! The soup looks great. I could eat soup every day!