April 09, 2012

Easter

We had a wonderful Easter! We celebrated with dinner and an egg hunt a day early on Saturday evening, since the in-laws were leaving town Easter day. The meal was pretty casual, my Mom brought some ham and a yummy fruit salad. I made some sides & dessert, tried some new recipes, nothing too difficult or fancy, but everything turned out great.

Here's the run-down on what I made. (I didn't get many pictures since I was scurrying around trying to cook, get the house ready and corral the children.) The day before I made some pickled carrots, the recipe of which I cannot find now, online or on paper, so I will continue to hunt and share it later because they were fabulous. Also, the day before I assembled a potato casserole. I ran across an old Taste of Home clipping while cleaning last week and I figured it was fate that I make them for Easter. They were delish. And very nice that they can be made ahead of time. Here's a picture of the recipe since I'm too lazy to type it all out:



Next up is the Green Bean Casserole. I googled "healthier green bean casserole" and found this one. Pretty much the standard recipe but with lower fat/sodium mushroom soup and "frazzled onions" that took the place of the French's onion rings. The frazzled onions were so good, I think I should've just made a huge bowl of those!

For dessert I made a Strawberry Pie that my friend shared on her blog. I increased the recipe by 1.5 and made it in a 9x13 pan. It was delicious and a very pretty dessert too.

And the one picture I did get was the hot cross buns that I mainly made for Easter morning breakfast. I used this recipe from Allrecipes and they turned out great. Probably the softest, lightest dough I have ever had the pleasure of kneading. Here they are:



We had such nice Easter. A good meal, good company, perfect weather, and happy kids with candy.

2 comments:

Dagni said...

I'm still enjoying the hot cross buns! Great dinner and dessert.

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Everything sounds wonderful! I want to give Linda's pie a try. It sounds yummy and perfect for spring!