April 20, 2012

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Genuis! Why haven't I seen these before or thought them up myself? We all love carrot cake around here. I ran across this recipe in the newspaper on Tuesday in the "Healthy Living" section. I just knew I had to make them and I just knew that they would be wonderful and I was right. I made a batch last night before bed & cooked up a few of them so they would be all ready to warm up this morning. The topping/frosting is delicious too. No need for syrup! And I had enough batter to make one more giant pancake today which I ended up eating for lunch. Yup, pancake for lunch with a tall glass of milk. YUM!



Here's the link to the recipe.  And here it is right here in slightly simplified form:

Carrot Cake Pancakes With Cream Cheese Sauce

Pancakes -
1 cup flour
2 t baking powder
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 T oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup finely grated carrot (about 1 large carrot)
1/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Sauce-
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup (2 ounces) softened cream cheese
1 T milk
1/2 t vanilla extract

In a large bowl place flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, stirring to combine. Mix up the milk, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a medium bowl, then add into the flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Stir in the carrot and coconut. If the mixture seems too thin, add up to 1/4 cup of flour. In a greased pan over medium heat, pour in about 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the tops are marked with bubbles and the edges appear cooked. Carefully turn the pancakes over; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.

For the sauce: Combine the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl, whisking until smooth and pourable.


I'd like to play around with the recipe a bit, perhaps add in some whole wheat flour or maybe some oats and definitely walnuts or pecans.

No comments: