October 31, 2011

Pumpkins Part II

I made my own pumpkin puree this weekend, so easy and economical. I need to buy up some more pumpkins before they disappear from the stores, make more puree and freeze it. This is a good step-by-step instructional for making it.

I needed a hostess gift to give this weekend for some friends who had us over for dinner. I used my pumpkin puree and made these Pumpkin Apple Struesel Muffins and this easy Pumpkin Butter. Both turned out wonderful and you know what's really wonderful? Smearing the pumpkin butter ON the pumpkin muffins (of course, I had to try both before giving them as gifts!)

I changed the recipes just ever so slightly so I'll reprint my versions here.

Pumpkin Apple Steusel Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons butter

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 18 muffin cups or use paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin and oil. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten. Fold in apples. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together streusel toppings until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping evenly over muffin batter.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.


Pumpkin Butter
2 cups pumpkin puree
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all in a saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.

Transfer to sterile containers and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

Here they are:


Linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

No comments: