November 17, 2011

Soup & Dip

This might be my new favorite soup! I got the recipe idea from "Skinny Crock Pot." I like them on Facebook and they have a blog as well. The recipe is titled "Buffalo Chicken Chili" but I really wouldn't consider it a chili, more of a soup really. Here is the way I made it:

Buffalo Chicken Soup

Place in crockpot:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 lg (14oz?) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup hot sauce (Louisiana, Franks, or the like)

Cook the above for about 2 hours on high. Meanwhile, sautee in a little olive oil:

1 carrot diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t paprika

Add these veggies to the crock then cook for another few hours on low. Shred up the chicken when it is cooked through.

Ooooh, this soup was so good, I just love anything "buffalo chicken" flavored. The recipe said to use 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce. I used 1/4 and it was pretty spicy! We had some celery dipped in blue cheese dressing on the side. Today I had some leftover soup for lunch, and after warming it up I put a little spoonful of the dressing in the soup and that was really good too!












Next up is a very yummy dip. I've been making salsa like a mad woman, at least one batch a week for us and often one for my mother-in-law who loves it too. But yesterday I decided to try a little something different. I made the salsa just about the same way as usual but blended it up with a can of black beans. It was so good and I can't wait to make it again. The kids devoured it! The way I made it is really more of a dip since it was thick, but if you add maybe another can of tomatoes it would be more of a salsa consistency.

Black Bean Salsa Dip

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
small handful of cilantro
1/4 of a small onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, diced
juice of half a lime
garlic salt to taste

Put everything in the blender and blend it up. It was so good, I could just eat it all up with a spoon! I just love the combination of flavors, and very healthy too!


**totally forgot to mention that I added corn to the dip too. Probably 1/2 cup frozen corn kernals, thawed.


1 comment:

Dagni said...

Can't wait to try that soup. I'll make it when everyone comes for Christmas. The dip sounds great too.