October 11, 2011

Squash Pie

I bought a butternut squash the other day, they were only 39 cents a piece! I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, I thought maybe make some good soup or something. So, today I decided to peel it and cut it up and while I was doing that I realized that it looked, smelled and even has the same seeds and slimy innards as a pumpkin. Then I remembered my son saying the other day how much he liked pumpkin pie. So I did a little searching and found this recipe for "Better than Pumpkin Pie." Really, just think about it...butternut squash. Butter. Nut. Squash. Its name just screams "make a dessert out of me!" So, I did. I think most people forget that pumpkins are squash too. Anyway, I already had a ready-made pie crust in the fridge and strangely enough had evaporated milk in the pantry (I don't even remember buying it). And so I whipped up this pie and it turned out really good!



I'm actually not a huge pumpkin pie fan but I honestly think it's pretty yummy (especially with whipped cream on top). If I didn't know it was butternut squash I wouldn't even give it a second thought, I would think it was definitely pumpkin. I might even sneak this into Thanksgiving dinner this year.



No comments: