July 23, 2010

Poor man's salsa

We love Mexican and we love dipping. One time when I realized we were out of
salsa I decided to make my own with ingredients I had on hand. Just look at the ingredient list on a jar of Pace and you'll see it's not rocket science. Here's how I do it. I take a 28oz jar of crushed tomatoes and add part of a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. Those can be pretty spicy, so I usually only add about 1/4 of the can or maybe even less. Then I add some chopped onions and cilantro, about 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin and a couple dashes of garlic powder. Really, it's all to taste. It's nothing fancy, but it is a cheap substitute. One very large batch costs less than 1.50 to make.




Shhhhh...don't tell the Pace people, I think I got it figured out.