April 22, 2011

Pizza Dip

One day this past week I asked my son to choose something special he wanted for dinner. He found his old kindergarten cookbook that he gave me for Christmas 2 years ago. He loves to look through it and find recipes that his friends submitted. He chose some Pizza Dip that I figured would be hearty enough to pass as a main course so I made it...sort of...with a few changes :) His friend's recipe called for olives and green peppers, which he doesn't even like. And there was no sauce in the recipe. It was just a creamy dip with a pizza flavor. I decided to make it a saucy and substitute sausage for pepperoni (since the pepperoni was pretty expensive at my market on this day and the sausage was not, and I don't really like pepperoni anyway). So, here is the dip we ended up with. We all liked it so much, I think I'll add it to my party food repertoire.

Pizza Dip
1/2 lb ground sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 small can of sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 can spaghetti sauce
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Brown the sausage and drain the grease. Place in a bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients. Bake in a covered casserole dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with crackers or breadsticks.


Maybe not super nutritious, but definitely delicious!

No comments: