April 13, 2011

Green Stuff

I made a really good green smoothie yesterday. I have tried a few other veggie smoothies that didn't turn out so good. One was a super duper orange one with orange, peaches and carrot. It was beautiful to look at but the carrot stood out way too much. Another one I made with bananas, almond milk and spinach, but I added too much spinach and it tasted like a banana salad. Not good. So, I've discovered that I can't be too generous with these vegetables unless I want to pucker and/or shudder with each sip. But this smoothie turned out just right. The strange thing is, I could totally taste the celery but I kinda liked it! It was a good combination with the apple and overall it was amazingly sweet. My daughter shared it with me and drank it without declaring it "kinda weird" like she had the others.

Here's the recipe and a pic-

1 apple (cored & quartered)

1 banana

1/2 frozen peach

1/2 stalk celery

small handful of fresh spinach

1 cup orange juice

And, I made a delicious soup yesterday and I bet it could be made in any old blender. It was a creamy potato asparagus soup similar to one that was demonstrated last week at the blender party.

1 1/2 cup milk

1/2 sour cream or plain yogurt (I did some of each)

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 T flour

2 T melted butter

1 green onion

dash of salt & pepper

I blended this until smooth & frothy, then I added-

2 small baked potatoes, quartered

1/2 bunch asparagus, blanched

I pulsed that maybe half a dozen times until it was chopped into rather small pieces. It came out of my blender warm but I still warmed it up in the microwave more before eating it. I adored this soup. No one else did though :( So, it was dinner for me two nights in a row. I didn't get a pic, but just picture above smoothie, slightly chunkier, in a bowl ;)

And totally not blender or even food related I wanted to mention that I am taking part in a 100 push-up challenge. I figure the more times I mention it, the more likely I'll stick with it. It is a 6 week plan to build strength and stamina as you work your way up to 100 consecutive push-ups! Just in time for summer, I am hoping this will help kick start me back into a regular exercise routine, I've been slacking. I'll be officially starting next Monday and I'm excited about it. Check it out HERE.

No comments: