March 24, 2011

Squash Casserole

My local grocery store has started bagging up produce that is close to 'expiring' and pricing it really cheap. This bag of 6ish squash (squashes?) cost me 69 cents! It was perfectly fine, not rotten or anything. Just had to use it up quickly. I've gotten some great deals on all kinds of veggies. So, it hunted up summer squash recipes and found this one. This blog site has some great veggie recipes and tips. Check it out! Anyway, I didn't have all the ingredients so I did what I could with what I had and I really liked how it turned out. My Squash Casserole 4-5 small to medium summer squash, peeled and sliced into half circles 1/2 medium onion, chopped 1/2 cup light sour cream 1/4 cup light mayo 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used colby/jack) 1/2 tsp salt few dashes of pepper 1/2 cup bread crumbs Sautee squash and onion in a pan in some olive oil till limp. In a bowl combine sour cream, mayo, cheese, salt & pepper. Then add the cooked veggies and stir till combined. Spread in greased casserole dish or pan. Top with bread crumbs. I added a little more shredded cheese on top but it wasn't really necessary. Bake at 350 for 25-40 minutes till squash is bubbly and the top is browned.

No comments: