March 01, 2011

Sweet Potato Chili

This is another recipe I'd forgotten about and it will officially round out my two weeks of more soup. I'm not sure where I got it, but I used to make it quite often. The sweet potatoes blend in nicely with the soup, adding a little sweetness to go with the spicy. It's very kid friendly and picky eater friendly.

Sweet Potato Chili

1 lb of ground beef or turkey, browned
2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of chili beans, not drained
1 medium to large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Toss everything in the crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are soft. I like to try to mash the sweet potatoes up after they get soft, that way they blend (aka disappear) into the soup better. It does make for very thick chili, so if you like it thinner, you could add some tomato sauce, tomato juice or even some V8.




I've no picture to share but it just looks like regular chili, only oranger ;)

No comments: