June 28, 2011

To Market to Market

I've mentioned before that my local market discounts their produce when it reaches that just barely beyond peak stage. Well, I've decided that Monday morning is the jackpot day to get loads of stuff for very cheap. Now, I will mention that I do draw the line at slimy looking mushrooms, mushy peaches and brown limes, but this stuff I'm getting is perfectly fine & edible, maybe just not as pretty and shiny as the apples, etc, that they just put out. I'm so glad they don't just throw it away. So, here is my loot for today:


A big bag of sweet potatoes, a bag of yellow & zucchini squash, 7 apples, an eggplant, two bagged salads, head of cauliflower, bag of carrots and a yellow & green pepper. Know how much all of this cost? $9.13! That's a bargain. And all these lovely things are my meal planning inspirations for the week.

For dinner tonight I made some noodles with yellow squash sauce. I've made it several times before, it's a recipe I came up with when we grew some squash in the garden a couple years ago. It's so good and you'd never even guess there was squash in it!

Tomato Squash Pasta Sauce
2-3 yellow squash, peeled sliced and quartered
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 pepper, chopped (I used yellow)

Saute in a couple tablespoons of olive oil till limp, then add-

2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 t Italian seasoning
1/2 t garlic salt
2 T sugar

Then, dump it all in the blender or food processor till it is all blended together. It turns such a pretty orangish red color, it almost has a creamy look to it. The color, along with its smooth consistency makes it very kid (and husband) friendly.


We ate it along with some roasted cauliflower and salad on the side. It was a successful meatless Monday dinner!

I think tomorrow we will have something with sweet potatoes and definitely an apple dessert. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the eggplant.

No comments: