December 13, 2010

This and that

Busy-ness of the holiday season + computer problems = not much time for blog posting. But I have taken a few pics with the intention of posting so I'll do a quick summary of a few of my more notable creations.

This breakfast is not very healthy, but it tastes really good and it's lotsa fun. Especially for kids.



My cookbook calls it a "Hootenany Pancake," but I think it's called a German Pancake as well. It's basically just flour, eggs, milk and butter but when you bake it in a pan it turns and puffs into strange shapes. It's different everytime, with mountains and valleys and caves and all kinds of bubbly formations. It deflates quick so you have to watch closely while it's baking and shortly after. Then when the excitement is over, top it with jam or syrup and it's quite scrumptious!

Here's another sort-of breakfast food that I'm loving lately. It's just a veggie/egg scramble but I put tons of veggies in it. Usually zucchini, red pepper, onion and garlic.



It's so yummy and even with the egg-y fat and cholesterol, I think it's a good way to get your veggies. The kids love it wrapped in a tortilla with a little cheese and picante sauce.



Doesn't this look like a super greasy cheeseburger?



It's a black bean burger! I just tossed a drained can of black beans in the food processor with some bread crumbs, an egg and some spices then fried it up and served it on a Smart Balance toasted whole wheat bun with some cheese and other burger fixin's. I won't claim that it actually tasted like a hamburger but it looked like one and it tasted pretty good.

And since it's Christmas, here's a pic of my big guy with the gingerbread men we made a couple weeks ago.





Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Everything looks yummy! I'm going to try that pancake thing sometime. It sounds like fun!

Dagni said...

Great breakfast ideas and I love the black bean burger too. I used to order those from Food for Life, a restaurant on 13th and Grove, that's closed now. They were good!