January 26, 2011

Quiche!

It was another dinner inspired by an old Taste of Home magazine clipping. I often find these magazines at garage sales for 10 or 25 cents each. I buy them up then take them on car trips/vacations and just cut out all the recipes that sound good. I have a couple small photo albums that are stuffed with these clippings. When I need to get inspired, I sort through them.

Tonight I tried out this ham and veggie quiche. What made it especially good was the crust, not your usual quiche pie crust but hash browns! I changed a couple things from the original recipe (what else is new). The family isn't fond of green peppers so I omitted those and added onions and mushrooms. You could really play around with the veggies in this! I also added another egg to the quichy part then reduced the salt down to almost nothing since the ham is plenty salty. Here's the recipe-


Ham and Vegetable Quiche

Crust-
3 cups frozen hash browns, thawed
1 egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Combine all and spread in a greased pan with edges coming up slightly (I used a 7 X 10 pan, but a pie pan would yield a thicker quiche) Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until crust is set and edges are brown.

Filling-
1 medium zucchini, diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup diced, fully-cooked ham
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
salt and pepper to taste

Sautee veggies and ham in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes (someday, I'll just make a big pan of this for dinner. yum!) Remove from heat and let cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine eggs and milk then combine with veggie mixture and cheese. Pour on top of crust and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.



I served it with a tossed spinach salad. You know what's music to my ears? "Mom, can I please have more spinach salad?!" Love it.

No comments: